Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Beginnings

I am being a bit lazy this morning about getting myself to work. Why, you might ask? Aren't you a gainfully employed young adult with a full time job that requires you to be at work at a set time? Well, technically yes. However, this morning is different. This is the beginning of the day that I hand in my resignation to my employer of nearly three years.

In two weeks I will start a new job, working for what is essentially a pro-bono law firm for families with children in foster care. They aren't really a law firm, but it's easier to explain it that way. The new job will have countless more responsibilities than the current one -- it will be a lot more work for a little more pay, but it's really all about the experience.

I've been working in a stagnant office for too long, where innovation is squashed and challenging projects are few and far between. I'm young and energetic, and I need to get out there and actually learn something of value, actually DO something of value. Will the new job be perfect? Certainly not. There will be downfalls and disappointments, but at least I won't be bored. But instead of working in a bizarre bureaucracy where it matters more who your parents are than what your qualifications are (such is life, I suppose), I will be working at a place where people have actually gone to school for law and social work -- intelligent, educated people working for a good cause. Perhaps I'll actually be inspired.

Today is not exactly the first day of the rest of my life, but perhaps June 28th will be. Congratulations and good luck to me!

No comments: